In recent years there maintain been increasing reports that “smart meters” – the digitized electric meters that are designed to send usage figures to power companies wirelessly – are causing a range of health issues among a growing portion of the population where such devices are in exercise.
Energy Company Shutting Off Power of Residents Opposed to Smart Meters
The EMF Safety Network stated that the number of people around the world reporting health problems related to the wireless radiation from different devices, including smart meter has increased.
“Utilities claim smart meters are safe and compare them to cell phones. However, cell phones, cell towers, wi-fi and other wireless devices can also affect your health,” the organization states on its website. “Reducing your EMF exposure can benefit your overall health and wellness.”
The World Health Organization has classified radiation as a 2B carcinogen, and based that declaration on studies that maintain linked cell phone radiation to brain tumors.
As famous by Cancer.org, here is how the devices work:
“Smart meters talk to their central systems using RF transmissions, based on a cell phone, pager, satellite, radio, power line (PLC), Wi-Fi or Internet (TCP/IP) communication method. Internet and cell phone applications maintain become the preferred options because of their flexibility and ease of deployment.”
Cancer.org also stated that smart meters are typically installed external homes and places of commerce, trade to degree electricity, water and gas usage. RF energy exposure depends on the distance a person sits from the antenna that transmits the sign.
The power and frequency of the RF sign emitted from smart meters are similar to those of a typical cellular phone, cordless phone or residential Wi-Fi router. These meters typically send and receive short messages approximately 1 percent of the time.
Cancer.org notes that the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) named RF radiation as “possibly carcinogenic to humans,” based on findings of at least one study that examined a link between it and a specific type of brain tumor.
Also, the EMF Safety Network has identified the following symptoms as possibly linked to RF radiation, based on a survey the group did in 2011:
- Stress, agitation, anxiety, irritability
- Sleep problems (insomnia, difficulty falling asleep, night waking, nightmares)
- Headaches, sharp pain or pressure in the head
- Ringing in the ears, ear pain, high pitched ringing
- Concentration, memory or learning problems
- Skin rashes, facial flushing
- Fatigue, muscle or physical weakness
- Disorientation, dizziness, or balance problems
- Eye problems, including eye pain, pressure in the eyes
- Cardiac symptoms, heart palpitations, heart arrhythmias, chest pain
- Leg cramps, or neuropathy
- Arthritis, body pain, sharp, stabbing pains
- Nausea, flu-like symptoms
- Sinus problems, nosebleeds
- Respiratory problems, cough, asthma
- Urinary problems
- Endocrine disorders, thyroid problems, diabetes
- High blood pressure
- Changes in menstrual cycle
- Hyperactivity or changes in children’s behavior
- Recurrence of cancer
Many are skeptical that smart meters cause cancer or any of the problems listed in the EMF Safety Network survey. However, the activist organization Stops Smart Meters, which opposes their exercise, says some people “maintain or develop symptoms of physical distress in the presence of electromagnetic or radio-frequency fields (or both).”
“There are many symptoms associated with this type of sensitivity, and the key in determining whether EMF fields are the cause of the problem is seeing what happens when you lessen or avoid exposure,” the group says on its website.